The Anti-Bullying Alliance defines bullying as,
‘The repetitive, intentional hurting of one person or group by another person or group, where the relationship involves an imbalance of power.’
Bullying is never acceptable and takes many forms. It can be:
- Aimed at specific groups of people and be homophobic, racial, disablist, gender related
Face to Face
- Physical – kicking, hitting, pushing, damaging/stealing property
- Verbal – name calling, teasing, insulting, intimidation
- Psychological – spreading rumours, isolating, mimicking, manipulative, playing jokes to embarrass or humiliate
Happen in Cyberspace
- Texting unpleasant messages, sending unpleasant photos, posting unpleasant messages on social networking sites
Support at Maltby Academy
At Maltby Academy we take any allegation of bullying very seriously, and we raise awareness about bullying in a number of ways. There will be information added to the website in the coming months and you will be informed of different initiatives we have in place and are developing to combat bullying.
We ensure that victims of bullying are supported and that perpetrators are dealt with. We also do not condone ‘bystanders’, people who watch or know that someone is being bullied and don’t do anything about it.
If you are concerned about bullying at Maltby Academy, please contact your son/daughter’s Student Welfare Officer in the first instance. You can also speak to:
Mr. M Clark
Assistant Vice Principal, Personal Development Behaviour and Welfare
Mrs G Boote
Leader of Personal Development Behaviour and Welfare
Mrs. S Graham
Associate Senior Leader, Designated Safeguarding and Wellbeing Lead
Mrs H Smith
Deputy Designated Safeguarding Officer
Mrs C Quarmby
Complex Case Officer
Click here to view our anti-bullying policy. We can also offer a range of pastoral support including referral to one of our Rotherham MAST counsellors, family mental health practitioners and/or Early Help services.
Click here for read a toolkit to prevent bullying in children’s lives.
Click here for additional resources.