Music Provision from September 2016 - July 2017
Music Provision at Maltby Academy from September 2016 – July 2017
The Maltby Learning Trust is fully committed to providing young people with a broad and balanced learning experience. All students are encouraged to nurture their talents, increase participation and develop the skills and qualities necessary to secure appropriate personalised progression routes. As a highly successful school, leaders are constantly evaluating provision to ensure that young people get the best possible learning experiences. As a result, Maltby Academy has developed a Creative and Performing Arts experience which has seen a significant increase in participation over recent years. The Academy considers Music provision a key part of the Creative and Performing Arts offer and has always made this available for the young people to study.
However, much to our disappointment, despite the Academy’s commitment to offering taught curriculum time and accredited courses in Key Stage 4 and 5, GCSE Music has seen a steady decline in student interest and take up over a number of years. In addition, at Key Stage 5 neither academic or vocational music provision has attracted student interest over recent years.
In the 2016-2017 Y8 options process, GSCE Music did not gain sufficient interest from the students and similarly, no students opted to study GCSE Music in the one-year option in Y11. This lack of student interest has resulted in leaders evaluating the current provision to ensure that the Music offer meets the needs and aspirations of the students and to ensure that it is fit for purpose with appropriate progression routes.
- Students entering Y10 who have started their GCSE options, including GCSE Music, will complete the qualification in Y11. Students having studied GCSE Music in Y9 will face no disadvantage and will resume the qualification on the reformed course in September 2017 as agreed.
- Students in Y10 who have frozen the Music option will still be entitled to discounted music tuition throughout Y10 and Y11.
- The one hour per week currently offered in Y7 and Y8 will be offered via bespoke enrichment opportunities after school. In consultation with students, they have asked for more specific experiences such as support with music technology, band practice and choir/vocal tuition.
- From September all music provision will be provided through an engaging extra-curricular offer, hosted by Rotherham Music Hub and delivered in the specialist music spaces at Maltby Academy. Parents/carers will be provided with more information early next term.
- From September 2016 the Academy has extended provision to all students in Key Stage 4 and 5 through BTEC Performing Arts. This has already enabled a number of young people to become involved in whole school productions and events.