Download the Year 8 Options booklet below for subject information.
New Key Stage 4 Qualifications
- All qualifications banked at the end of Year 11 will be the new GCSEs or BTECs.
- The new qualifications will be assessed mainly through exams rather than coursework.
- The content will be more demanding and there will be a new 1 to 9 grading system.
- Prepare for new A levels – more mathematical content.
BTEC or GCSE?
- BTECs are qualifications where students learn about a subject through an industry “Individual teams are…striving to and are achieving best practice” Pearson External review of MA, 2016.
- BTECs have 75% Project work and 25% Exam
- GCSEs are a study of a particular subject
- Most GCSEs have 100% exam
Both qualifications lead to the same progression routes.
New GCSE Grading